Thursday, August 21, 2008

First Day of FIRST grade!




Mckenna is now in 1st grade! Here is her first grade photo shoot taken by Kyle (yes, I got mad at him for having her lay on the sidewalk in her new school clothes!) I can't believe that she is already a BIG first grader. I was surprised at how different first grade is than kindergarten. They expect so much more out of them, when really they are just a summer time older. When we went to curriculem night Mckenna's teacher was talking about how they would know their multiplication to 12 by the end of the school year.....WHAT???? Starting in September she will also have about a half hour worth of homework every night. She is only 6 for crying out loud! I am blown away by how much she has to learn to learn this year. She is already getting extra crabby and emotional. She has pretty much kicked Halle out her room at night because she claims to need her sleep because 1st grade is much harder than kindergarten.
Here she is with one of her friends from her class last year. They are happy to be in the same class again this year. Mckenna was pointing to their teacher from last year, we will miss Mrs. Standage, she is an amazing teacher!


On a side note: Halle is a little night owl and usually is up later than me, so no one really wants to share a room with her. Whatever room she ends up in, you can guarantee that she will keep them up until at least 9 or 9:30. Sometimes we keep her out of the bedroom until the other kids fall asleep, but she doesn't seem to mind too much because she gets to stay up late with her dad and eat cereal. Halle usually doesn't fall asleep until between 10pm-11pm.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

It's so crazy to see these little girls growing up isn't it?

I wish Kaitlyn were at McKenna's school...I just found out tonight that they don't teach reading at the school here until 1st grade! I feel like Kaitlyn is ready NOW. They are teaching the kindergarteners the sounds of the letters....Kaitlyn learned that ALL last year and the year before that is Preschool! She keeps telling me that Kindergarten is just like preschool and she wants to learn something hard! I don't know what I'm going to do.

Jamie and Heather Darger said...

Wow your family is GROWING! :)
I thought about you the other day in Mesa when we were down by the yogurt shop area. I think Jodi told me you sold it?
Anyway they are fine as far as I know. I dont see them as much as I should. Jodi's computer died and I dont know if it is up and running yet. Kim is off being Kim hahaha It would be fun to all get together sometime. Keep in touch!

Tanya Leigh said...

Wow. Poor gal. I hope she can recapture the joy of school ... that's just silly that they are pressuring them so much! :( Let's not burn the kids out already -- sheesh. I'd have to have a talk with the teacher (who sounds like she'd rather be teaching 3rd graders). Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Skye! Everything is good with me and my family. My little boys are getting so big. We have to get together soon. I will call and plan it!

Your kiddos are adorable and Claire is the cutest little baby! Makes me want a girl!! (dang it)

Talk to you soon!

Laura and Jimmy said...

She is a cutie! and multiplication???? what??? I didn't teach that in first grade and that was only 5 years ago!

JROD said...

well jakob's in 3rd grade and hasn't been expected to know multiplication yet. maybe she meant aDdition facts or maybe she just exaggerated as the school has a math focus this year?!
Sara

Barlow Family said...

Skye- I'm so excited to have found your blog...through the grapevine! I'm gonna add you to my list so I can keep up. :)

Missy said...

Ok, your family is so, so cute! Please update more!!!